P.O. Box 4261
Aspen, CO. 81611
(970) 987-8555
http://www.Edelwiser.com

Price undetermined

Custom grahics services @ $110 /hour
OR
Upload your own graphics  !
(Illustrator or EPS template downloads you can modify)

See custom graphics examples (corporate branding)

Usage Class:

High speed race carving.

Your Rating (with comments):
(1="get me off these things"->10="I have to own a pair")

10 (high speed race carving)

Summary:

This ski was a prototype reportedly designed by Nicola Werdenigg of Austria (co-owner of Edelwiser - she knows high performance skis!...see below...):

• 4 World Cup podiums
  • 17 World Cup top ten finishes
  • Austrian Ski Federation from age 8
  • Uni Innsbruck Six semester sport sciences - University of Innsbruck
  • Austrian state diploma ski and ski guide
  • Diploma Bioenergetic body work
  • 1968 Interski Demoteam Österreich 1968 Interski Demo Team Austria
  • Six years Skiing World Cup
  • 1975 Austrian downhill champion
  • Fourth place 1976 Olympic downhill in Innsbruck downhill overall World Cup third
  • Sports teacher with a focus on children and disabled sports
  • This is a serious, experts-only, high octane racing machine capable of skiing at moderate speeds if asked and correctly operated. Race-stock performance in a modified carver chassis. Stiff and precise with an unlimited top speed. Powerful and unrelenting vacuum-like vice grip on the snow wanting to be driven in a forward stance and properly commanded to change direction.  The ski comes more and more alive as the speed increases, instantly telling even an expert skier that this is no fooling around.  Pay attention and make sure you know what you're doing.  Surprisingly friendly for such a dangerously high-intensity race carving tool.  Imagine taking a top-tier race stock GS ski and flaring the forebody a bit (similar to the Swing forebody geometry) and spreading the tail a bit at the end.  The result is a Ferrari-like speed addition tool that can be initiated into its turns with a gentle forward stance roll onto the edges.  Once you're "engaged", do not, under any circumstances, get into the back seat.  Stay on this ski or be taken for a ride.  Not for civilians.  This ski will thrill the expert skier craving a powerful carving tool with unlimited speed potential.  Only take this ski out when on one else is clogging the groomed slope.  As Max says "This is the ski for the first runs on the fresh groomed hill before anyone gets out there."  I became addicted to this ski - plain and simple.  Better get in shape...This ski will cause you to have your ticket pulled at slopes in the U.S.A. over and over again. No question. Please Edelwiser...bring this ski to market !

Technical Ski Data:

Wood core, fiberglass, Titanal (I think) low-scuff slightly matte finish topsheet (customized).
    PL 1824
    EEL 1816
    Tip 128,8 mm
    Waist 77,6 mm
    Tail 118,0 mm
    R 14570 mm
    Weight/Ski 2,0299 kg

Pre-Skiing Impression:

Stiff. Strong. Serious. Like the Edelwiser Speed on steroids. Curious combination of race-stock GS flex feeling with a "Stretched" Speed model geometry. Hefty ski. Commands respect.  If Nicola Werdenigg loves this ski and is reported to be one of the most elegantly smooth skiers on snow, I have a long way to go in my technical skills.  One word stuck in my mind after inspecting this ski and flexing it: "Respect".

Test Conditions:

Cold, dry packed powder conditions, perfect combination of packed groomers and some cut-up fresh stuff (ranging from a few inches to some boot-deep stuff) on the side of some trails.  We tested on several days and several ski resorts in Vermont.

Test Results:

The skate to the lift was like being told to sit down in a class by a stern teacher. "Respect this ski" immediately came to mind.  Definitely a GS-style racing machine with that dampened, almost heavy feel.  The first few turns instantly told me this ski needs to come up to speed before it will even think about flexing its curves.  Stepping the pace up immediately caused the ski to suck itself into the surface like a vacuum and simply moving your mass forward (almost "chasing" the shovels with your hips) created a complete lock onto the snow starting at the shovel and continuing right under foot back to the end of the ski.  Hold it as long as you want.  Do it at any speed you want.  Ignore any surface changes in your arc...the prototype doesn't care...it just holds its line until you roll your mass laterally the other way to change direction. Seductive security at sometimes uncomfortable speeds (a good thing !) allows you to up your level of average speeds to scary territory if you wish.  Remarkable forebody grip in the snow unlike nearly any ski I have tried, including many race-stock GS skis from many other manufacturers.  "Substantial" is a word one tester came up with to accurately describe the 182 prototype.  The 182 prototype produces an addictive sense of security during intensive turns at high speeds. Really stable, really controlled and really grippy with a sense of quiet and "mastery".  This sense of security can get you into trouble the minute you don't have the reflexes or presence of mind to monitor and manage what you're doing at warp 9.  Let down your guard, and this ski, like any speed-event thoroughbred, will stay on its trajectory when you didn't intend to...potentially causing an unpleasant detour.  Be careful what you wish for. One of the best rides I've had in a long time.

Analogies: (this ski is like...)

An F1 race car slightly modified to make it street legal.  Experts only please.

After Skiing These, I Want To...

Sell my other skis and learn to ski this pair to their potential (after hiring a personal trainer).

Self-Description of Skiing Style, Ability, Experience, Preferences:

Expert groomed-surface carver, "old-style" race inspired, "foot steerer" with fairly sensitive edging feel. Loves to hold long arcs with lots of pressure on the downhill ski (you know the type),  but also loves the feel of both skis on-edge leaving tiny railroad track edge tracks. Not an instructor, but 10 year coach for youth race team in New England (bulletproof is the norm).

Videos:

The "Action" video has a few clips of two people riding the 182 prototype, and one instructor describing it a little.

EDELWISER INTERVIEWS:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKqnDmBvAb8  

EDELWISER SKI ACTION:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OboxUp5YAQ

By: e.edelstein  Posted: Friday, March 7, 2008 8:50:48 PM

Nicola Werdenigg provided a little history about this ski:

"about our prototype:

the roots (shape) of this ski lay back to the time when i
     was working together with reini fischer. at 1996 the dimensions
     seemed rather strange to almost everybody and there were only
     very few skiers in the snowrider crew wich were able to
     enjoy the ski. so it was not produced anymore.

for me since than the ski was my favourite - it matches perfect
     with my "downhiller soul" (in 97 i had the opportunity to
     try it on the downhill course at the austrian championships
     at zauchensee, where i became champion in 75,
     after the race. this time my trophy was a big, big smile on my face.

after my old skis had no edges anymore to prepare,
     two years ago i decided it's about time to start the
     project "edelwiser wiener schnitzer".
     as there is much emotion with this project, the reviews on
     your site made me proud like a new born childs mom!

i hope we can bring it to production in a small edition
     for next season."

By: e.edelstein  Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 5:26:35 AM

Servus America,
    finally I had the possibility to ride the 182cm "Wiener Schnitzer" 01-03.May 2008 on the Tuxer Glacier/Tyrol/Austria. 0815 in the morning and good sight. Fresh slopes with powder worked in during the night. I have skied all Edelwiser types but this ski is outstanding. Similar concept and construction to the Swing and Speed (wood titanal sandwich) but all aspects driven to the ultimate. The ski takes any speed without taking notice. You see all semi-race equiped skiers static by skiing by at speed of light but you feel like cool cruising. Your body nearby the snow you do not need to take care about grip or radius. Those skies just do what you want to do. The only difference: You do it at a speedlevel you would not even dare thinking about...

Even short and mid-radius turns work out with dramatic rebound and power. Its quite easy to handle and in my impression not as agressive as the "Speed". Only the speed and the radical turns are crazy.

You think I am telling fantasy stories...? Try it!

Outstanding super-performance ski. Nothing compares....Must have!

Cheeers Christoph

By: Christoph-Wien  Posted: Sunday, May 4, 2008 8:53:11 AM

I am glad you got to ride the prototype 182 !  It was one of the most impressive skis I tried all year, and has the ability to increase speeds and powerful turning grip beyond most other "normal" skis.  It definitely wants wide-open terrain (like a glacier !)...or empty, early-morning groomed slopes for race-like speeds.  Very quiet on the snow, but shows great "authority" and unlimited carving power.  No "whip-like" turns for this ski....speed and intense grip are the words I can think of.

Do you think we can get Niccola to bring this ski to market next year?  I will bet some magazines might say great things if they tried it.  Wow is all I can say.  I want a pair ! I want a pair !

Thanks for the comments!

By: e.edelstein  Posted: Sunday, May 4, 2008 11:07:43 AM

Hi Eric,

hope you are fine and I am looking forward seeing you soonest in good old Europe.

I will meet Nicola again on Wednesday  and will  ask her  about her intensions with the 182. I would guess just a sort of limited edition. For non-experts the ski is a dangerous weapon compareable with a cruise missile....

Ref. magazines and tests: I guess they will love the 182. Have you got all the contacts?

Cheeeers Christoph

P.S.: Please tell me the other two or three skis similar impressive...and please rank them!

By: Christoph-Wien  Posted: Sunday, May 4, 2008 11:16:18 PM

ExoticSkis.com
    No Ski Ads.
    No Affiliate Marketing.

Several companies provide discounts or donations to support our ski testing program.

We can choose any poles. We choose Leki. They never fail & last for years.

Boots are the most critical element when testing ski behavior. We can choose any boots. We choose Dalbello and Salomon.

Distinctive team outerwear.

Halti is our choice to stay dry and warm when testing in Nor'Easter storms.

Green Ice Wax is our choice for non-fluoro, eco-friendly waxes.
    Smith is our choice for head and eye protection.

Northern Ski Works is our choice for shop work and bootfitting.
    HELP SUPPORT
    EXOTICSKIS.COM