Search Active Topics Members Register

Whitedot Skis - Redeemer Rockered Ski

A great review with this photo over at TGR forums:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185967

By: e.edelstein  Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:08:30 AM

I forgot...another link at Snowheads with some comments about the Redeemers:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63262

As crazy as this might sound, I tested the Redeemers and Preachers at Chamonix in 2010 (Thank You Fall Line Bootfitting!) in conditions completely outside their design specs of soft, 3D snow. The day I managed to get to Grand Montets it was firm, wind-buffed, hardened chalk-like surface with wind-sheets and general surfaces unkind to rockered skis like the Redeemer. It would have been an epic day for carving on GS skis or race-carve skis...but noooooo, I had to take the wrong skis out in the wrong conditions....not too intelligent you say?...well...

The Redeemers showed their compliance and good design specs by being completely predictable and controlled on hard surfaces. The pair I was on had not been tuned for hard snow, and had plenty of days of usage, so they were a bit base-high and dull (by carvng ski standards). Soooo, I had a pair of base-high, dull, rockered fat skis on windbuffed hardpack and groomed frontside trails. The Redeemers showed excellent manners for a big ski in "drift mode" on the hard surfaces. Controlled drifting was the name of the game, and they held up just fine. Given a few runs, I figured out you could really go anywhere without any concern (other than an iced-down racecourse or Eastern USA boilerplate surfaces), just roll them up on edge gradually, pressure them consistently and they would change direction on-demand and were nicely damping out high-frequency vibrations. While they are not a trench-digging carving weapon for hard snow, they demonstrated a very nice degree of consistent behavior and security. At no time did they ever "let go" or "wash out" unexpectedly like some rockered fat skis. Very civilized behavior for being completely out of their element. If I had a chance to get them base-ground and tune them to perhaps 0.5-0.75 degree base and 2 degrees side bevel, with detuned rocker sections (prevent hookiness in firm 3D snow or crust), I think they would have been impressively grippy on the hard snow. The Preachers I tried were naturally grippier due to the conventional camber, but they too had quite a few days of soft-snow use and needed a tune (who tunes their soft snow skis anyway?), but were very, very respectable on the hard surfaces. I had previously tried the Preachers with a much better tune, and they immediately impressed me with their grip on the groomers.

Bottom line, the Redeemers are versatile - more than you might think.

(2009-2010 Redeemers next to 2010-2011 Preachers with test graphics)

Preachers (front) Redeemers (rear)

(Redeemer Rocker Tips)

(Redeemer Rocker Tails)

(Redeemers at rest)

Bases of Redeemers (left) and Preachers (right)

By: e.edelstein  Posted: Monday, March 7, 2011 9:17:11 AM

ExoticSkis.com
No Ski Ads.
No Affiliate Marketing.

Several companies provide discounts or donations to support our ski testing program.

We can choose any poles. We choose Leki. They never fail & last for years.

Boots are the most critical element when testing ski behavior. We can choose any boots. We choose Dalbello and Salomon.

Distinctive team outerwear.

Halti is our choice to stay dry and warm when testing in Nor'Easter storms.

Green Ice Wax is our choice for non-fluoro, eco-friendly waxes.
Smith is our choice for head and eye protection.

Northern Ski Works is our choice for shop work and bootfitting.
HELP SUPPORT
EXOTICSKIS.COM